contact us · site map 
HOME · image bank · photo gallery · send card · links · contact us - All about Białystok
 Discover Białystok
 Discover Podlasie
 What's Happening?
 Enjoy the City
 Travel Facts
 Practical Information
 Business & Economy
To Specialist - english version
Dla Specjalistów - wersja polska
 Press Releases
 Tourist Statistics
 Image Bank
 Contact (website and domain) is for sale.
Contact us for further details » (strona i domena) jest na sprzedaż.
Skontaktuj się z nami, by uzyskać szczegóły »
General information «  
Before you come
Tourist IC
Arrival «  
By bus
By train
By car
By plane
Accommodation «  
Guest Apartaments
Hotel booking »  

Arrivail in Poland
Regulations concerning the arrival and stay in Poland of EU citizens and their family members will change from the day of accession of Poland to the EU. The relevant Union regulations and the law of July 27 2002 on the terms and conditions of entry and stay on Polish territory of citizens of EU member states and members of their families incorporating those regulations, will come into force effective May 1 2004.

The above law will not only apply to EU citizens and their family members, but also to citizens of states of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) which do not belong to the EU, but pursuant to agreements with the EU enjoy free movement of persons and members of their families (spouses, children below the age 21, being their legal wards, direct relatives who are their dependants or share their household).

In order to cross the border of the RP, a citizen of the EU needs a valid travel document or another document certifying his/her identity and citizenship.

Family members who are not a citizen of the Union will be able to enter the territory of Poland on the basis of a valid travel documents and visas - if required.

Denial of entry by EU citizens onto the territory of the RP will be possible only in the event of need to protect order and public security, or in the event of threat to the security and defense of the state. Prior to May 1 2004, the names of citizens to whom the above reservations do not apply will be deleted from the lists of aliens whose stay on the territory of Poland is deemed undesirable.

Stays longer than three months. Legalization of stay
Stays beyond three months' duration will require the obtainment of a residence permit or temporary residence permit. This requirement will not apply to persons who perform work or a free profession on the territory of Poland, or conduct business activity here, provided they retain permanent residence on the territory on another EU state, to which they return at least once a week.

In consequence of the procedure of granting a residence permit or temporary residence permit, a EU citizen will obtain a EU citizen's residence card, while a family member who is not a Union citizen will obtain a document of residence. The issuance of each such document will carry the charge of 30 PLN.

Decisions concerning residence permits and residence cards for EU citizens and residence documents (also with regard to their prolongation and revocation) will be issued by the voivode of the voivodship where the EU citizens intends to reside. Appeals will be considered by the President of the Office for Repatriation and Aliens.

A residence permit will be granted to a EU citizen on condition that he/she: intends to perform or performs work, a free profession or business activity on the territory of the RP for a period exceeding 12 months, or has health insurance and sufficient resources to cover his/her expenses without needing social security support.

(A detailed elaboration of the premises for granting EU citizens residence permits is contained in article 5 of the Law on the terms and conditions of entry and stay on the territory of the RP of citizens of EU states and members of their families).

Residence permits will be valid for five years with the possibility of prolongation for further five-year periods. If a EU citizen staying on the territory of the RP in connection with work performed here is - on the day of applying for the first prolongation of his/her stay - without such work not due to his/her fault, but not for a period exceeding 12 months, the permit will be extended for 12 months.

Temporary residence permits will be granted to Union citizens who have health insurance and sufficient resources to cover their expenses without needing social security support - and who on the territory of the RP: take up studies - permit for residence of one year, to be extended by further one-year periods until completion of studies, intend to or perform work, a free profession or conduct business activity on the territory of the RP for a period from 3 months to 12 months - for the duration of such occupation, seek employment - for six months.

Residence and temporary residence permits issued to Union citizens will cover family members (excluding relatives in the case of students).

The residence card and document of residence will be replaced in the event of change of the personal data in the document, change of the appearance of the holder, damage of the document, or its loss.

The residence card or document of residence should be immediately returned upon obtainment of Polish citizenship or revocation of the permit of residence.

A Union citizen and members of his/her family may be denied a residence permit exclusively in the event of need to protect public order and security, protect public health , or due to a threat to state security or defense. This also applies to the prolongation of the permits, though refusal to issue them cannot be based on the need to protect public health. The denial decision contains the date of departure from Poland, which will not be later than: the 15th day from the day when the decision refusing the permit becomes final, the 30th day from the day when the decision denying prolongation or revoking the permit becomes final.

If the application for granting or extending a residence permit or temporary residence permit covers family members, the Union citizen will be obliged to enclose the following documents along with the application: documents certifying marriage or kinship with the family member, document certifying that the family member is his/her dependent, or member of the same household in the state from which he/she has arrived (does not apply to a spouse, a EU citizen, who is not a dependent), written consent of the family member who is over 16.

Any documents attached to the application, issued by foreign authorities or institutions, should be translated into the Polish language by an authorized translator.

It will be possible to expel a Union citizen or his/her family members from the territory of the RP only in the event of need to protect public order and security, or in the event of threat to state security and defense. The decision on expulsion will result, by law, in the revocation of the residence permit or temporary residence permit.

Limited-term permits and residence cards issued to EU citizens and members of their families (also to those who are not EU citizens) on the basis of the law of June 13 2003 on aliens, remain valid.

Permanent and temporary registrations will be issued by Gmina Offices appropriate to the place of residence. To obtain registration, a Union citizen or members of his/her family will need to present personal data and produce a residence card, residence document or residence permit.

Aliens registered for permanent or temporary residence exceeding two months, and aliens, who are subject to social security or health insurance while on the territory of the Republic of Poland, will be issued PESEL numbers.

Medical care
Effective May 1 2004, citizens of EU and EEA member states and members of their families will be able to sign up for medical care coverage with the National Health Fund (NFZ).

Persons coming to Poland on tourist visits will be able to obtain emergency medical assistance in the framework of health care coverage they have in the countries of permanent residence. It will be necessary to present form E-111 certified before arrival in Poland by a competent domestic authority. Form E-112 - along with the consent of the insurer - entitles the bearer to come to Poland for other than emergency medical treatment.

Students from EU countries are entitled to all medical services on the basis of form E-128.

Persons entitled to retirement and disability pensions have the right to all health benefits needed during their stay in Poland . The status of pensioner has to be certified by form E-121.

A EU citizen engaged in legal work in Poland, or conducting business activity here, will be able to obtain - along with the members of his/her family - NFZ coverage, even if he/she and the members of his/her family do not reside in Poland (coverage in accordance with the principle of the place of work). The following procedures should be followed:
- application for coverage of members of one's immediate family residing in Poland should be made on form E-106,
- persons living and working in Poland , going to another EU state (e.g. for a tourist visit) are entitled to medical assistance upon producing form E-111 certified by the NFZ,
- if one's immediate family lives in another EU country, its members are entitled to benefits in that country on the basis of form E-109, certified by the NFZ and registered with a competent authority of that country,
- persons living abroad, but working and paying their contributions in Poland (e.g. border-area workers) and members of their immediate families, are entitled to health care in both countries; in such instance, in order to obtain free medical care in another Union country, it will be necessary to obtain in Poland certification on form E-106 and to register it with the competent authority in the country of residence. The children of such workers have medical coverage and receive health care in the country of their residence. In Poland , they will be entitled only to emergency assistance (similarly to tourists).
EU citizens delegated to work in Poland should possess form E-101, certifying their coverage and exempting them from payment of contributions in Poland.

Persons employed in Poland on the basis of task contracts are entitled to health benefits on the basis of form E-128.

Persons registered in employment offices in EU member states as unemployed, entitled to medical coverage and seeking work in Poland, have the right to medical assistance in Poland on the basis of form E-119 - on condition that at least four weeks have passed since registration at an employment office. The right to medical assistance in connection with seeking work outside the country of permanent residence lasts for only 3 months.

Driver's licence
Driver's licenses issued by other EU member states are recognized by Poland and remain valid until the expiry date indicated in the document. A EU citizen permanently residing in Poland will not be obliged to replace his driver's license for a Polish driver's license - though he/she will have the option of doing so. Should the document become lost or its validity expire - it will not be necessary to pass a driving test again. While driving a vehicle on the territory of the RP, the driver is obliged to have with him a driver's license and civil liability insurance.

Seat belts must be used in both front and back seats, with children up to the age of 12 and up to 150 cm tall using special certified seats. Using a mobile phone while driving is banned, though a loud-speaking phone system is permitted. The legal alcohol limit is 0.2 promille.

Speed limits:
town (5am-11pm) - 50 km/h (11pm - 5am) - 60 km/h.
open road - 90 km/h.
single carriageway - 110 km/h, dual carriageway - 120 km/h.
motorway - 130 km/h.
with trailer - 70 km/h (on highways - 80 km/h).

Between October 1 and the last day of February drivers have to use day lights during the day. Front fog lights may be used only during fog or heavy rain. Rear fog lights may be used only when visibility is under 50 meters.
The vehicle must be equipped with a reflector triangle.

The vehicle has to be marked with a sign indicating the country of its registration. Radar-warning systems are banned.

Effective May 1 2004, the "green card" will not be required upon entry by car into Poland. However, it may be used as international proof of insurance , facilitating the obtainment of compensation in the event of an accident.

Restrictions on the importation of goods by private individuals
Persons entering Poland from another EU country have the right to duty-free importation of goods purchased during the journey provided that the goods are intended for private use and will not be resold. The concept of "private use" includes the disposal of the goods imported as gifts, though their sale would be illegal - possibly leading to confiscation and fine. If a traveler is unable to demonstrate that the goods being transported are intended for private use and the customs officer is convinced that the goods are intended for sale - the officer is authorized to confiscate the goods along with the vehicle in which they are being transported.

Goods not exceeding the following quantities will be considered intended for private use:
800 cigarettes,
200 cigars,
1 kilo of tobacco,
10 liters of spirit,
20 liters of fortified wine (e.g. sherry, port),
90 liters of wine (including up to 60 liters of sparkling wine),
110 liters of beer.
Persons under the age of 17 are not allowed to import alcoholic beverages or tobacco.
After Poland 's accession to the EU, tourists returning to their country will not be able to claim VAT refunds on goods purchased in Poland.

Emergency phone numbers:
997 - police,
998 - fire brigade,
999 - ambulance,
112 - mobile phone emergency number,
981 - road assistance.


site map · about VB · contact us · photo credits · press · advertise · co-operation
Copyright © 2005-2024 by Kazimierz Popławski